The City Attorney’s Office is located on the third floor of City Hall. The City Attorney is appointed by City Council.
City Attorney oversees the legal affairs of the City. On a daily basis the City Attorney participates in the following activities:
- Serves as Legal Counsel to the City Council, staff, boards, commissions and committees of the City
- Drafts or supervises drafting of ordinances and resolutions for Council, explains the foregoing to Council and answers questions relating thereto
- Attends meetings of Council and City boards and commissions and renders immediate legal advice
- Serves as legislative liaison for City with State and Federal governments
- Drafts or supervises the drafting of all contracts, deeds, leases, releases, franchises and other legal documents on behalf of the City
- Represents the City in legal matters, brings suits necessary to be instituted by the City and defends the City in suits brought against it, and handles appellate litigation.
- Decides major legal questions in litigation, claims, leases and contracts, land titles and related legal matters
- Prepares the departmental budget and oversees expenditures
- Prepares and supervises the preparation of formal legal opinions upon request of Council members and the administration
- Defends City employees in action brought against them for conduct while in the line of duty
- Supervises and administers land transactions