Our City

Fire Department History


1787 Created by the NC General Assembly

1859 Lumberton was incorporated.

1895 The first water system was installed in Lumberton. The water was pumped directly from the river into the fire hydrants by two (2) Worthington pumps. There were thirty fire hydrants and the average daily consumption of water was 50,000 gallons per day.
The Fire Department had thirty volunteer firefighters, one hose and ladder truck, and five hose carts with 500 feet of 2 1/2 inch hose stationed at various locations throughout town. The fire alarm was sounded by a whistle at the pumping station and a bell was sounded at the courthouse.

1898 The water system had thirty fire hydrants and two miles of 4 and 8 inch water pipe. The town had an average daily consumption of 50,000 gallons of water per day.

1903 Stephen McIntyre formed the first organized fire company after taking took oath as the special constable of the Chief of the fire department and a policeman of Lumberton. The hose reels throughout the town were manned by town’s people.

1904 The Fire Department had thirty volunteer firemen and two hose carts with 1,000 feet of 2 1/2 inch hose that was stationed at Elizabethtown Road and Elm Street. The water tank was located at Elizabethtown Road and Water Street and had a capacity of 66,000 gallons and was eighty-five feet high.

1907 W.P. McAllister appointed fire chief and appropriated 6 assistants.

1908 Q.T. Williams Chief of Fire Department with 30 volunteer firemen, one hook and ladder and five hose carts with 500 feet of 2 1/2 inch of fire hose. One hose cart was stationed in the 100 block of West 4th Street. A whistle at the pumping station and a bell at the courthouse sounded the fire alarm.

1911 Q.T. Williams resigns & J.P. Townsend appointed Fire Chief.

1912 The town commissioners purchased a combination chemical and hose motor car for $6,000.

1916 Fire Chief J.P. Townsend paid $15/mo

1919 [May] Jasper Rowan appointed Fire Chief & paid $15/mo

1919 - 1966 [December] Ed J. Glover elected Fire Chief

1914 Fire truck chauffeur and several firefighters began sleeping in the upstairs of the fire station. The Fire Department had fourteen volunteer firemen with a Chief and an Assistant Chief.
A 66,000 gallon water tank was located at Elizabethtown Road and Water St. The average daily consumption of waster was 120,000 gallons per day. There were three miles of 3 and 8 inch water pipe with 30 fire hydrants. There were five hose carts with 500 feet of 2 1/2 inch fire hose on each, one hook and ladder truck and equipment that would be discontinued in April and the following was to be installed; one American LaFrance combination hose and chemical auto truck that would carry 1,000 feet of 2 1/2 inch fire hose, two chemical trucks and one horse hook and ladder with driver to stay at City Hall. The total amount of "good hose" was 2,000 feet. 
The Gamewell fire alarm system was to be installed in April with 12 boxes. The alarm was to blow a whistle at the pumping stations and an extension of City Hall. Hose reel carts were stationed on Fourth, Seventh, Tenth, Pine, and Water Streets. The Fire Station was located at 4th and Water Streets with one hose wagon with 1,000 feet of 2 1/2 inch fire hose, one combination truck and one driver to sleep in the building which would change in the near future.

1921-1925 Fire Chief Ed J. Glover instructed to work as nighttime police officer around town hall.

1924 Population of Lumberton was 3,500. Two paid firefighters were on duty 24 hours a day seven days a week. There were twelve partially paid men, one American LaFrance combination hose and chemical truck with 1,500 feet of 2 1/2 inch fire hose. The Fire Station was located at 2nd and Elm Streets.

1931 Fire Chief Glover paid $110/mo. & Paul Britt first paid firefighter (chauffer) $75/mo.

1935 Chief Glover $110 & Paul Britt $85/mo.

1941 Chief Glover $130 & Paul Britt $100/mo.

1945 [January 12] Lumberton’s Charter was changed from Town to City.

1946-47 Fire Dept Operating Budget     $9,140.
    Fire Chief                $2,400
    Truck Drivers (chauffer’s)         $3,660
    Volunteer Firefighters            $1,000
    Gas, Oil, & Repair of Equipment     $150

1955-56 Fire Dept Budget             $35,030.

1958 Request made by Hubert Brooks to construct a fire station across the river on the Southside of Lumberton.

1966 - 1979 P.H. Edwards served as Fire Chief

1977 The Lumberton Fire Department began providing EMT response.

1978 Two new Fire Stations were constructed. One at the corner of 7th Street and Cedar Street and the second at 801 Dunn Road.

1979 Purchased 1979 1000 gpm Ford engine

1979-1989 Sam Byrd, Jr. served as Fire Chief

1983 Purchased 1983 1000 gpm Ford engine

1987 Purchased 1987 1000 gpm Ford engine

1989 Ted Melvin (dates?)

1989 - 2000 Ronald W. Parker served as Fire Chief – (4-1-89 Acting Chief; 9-1-89 appointed Fire Chief)

1991 Purchased 95’ E-One aerial

1993 The Fire Department began providing EMT-D response.

1996 Purchased 1996 1500 gpm Pierce engine

2000 The Fire Department began providing EMT-I response. Purchased 2000 Ford F-450 500 gpm minipumper/squad

2002 to the Present Mike Cox appointed Fire Chief

2002 Purchased a 2002 1500 gpm Pierce engine

2002 Received AFG for fitness - Implemented fitness and wellness program

2006 Began providing EMT-P

Go to top