Public Services FAQ

What do I need to do to establish new service or disconnect my service?

The following is required when establishing new service:

  1. Request must be made in person.
  2. Service Charge ($25.75 or $77.25 for new underground service)
  3. Utility Deposit or Letter of Credit ($250 for residential customer and 2 month average for non-residential customer or acceptable letter of credit from current utility for a period not less than 12 months with no more than two delinquent payments during the twelve month period)
  4. Lease, Deed, or Proof of Purchase
  5. Driver’s License or Department of Motor Vehicles issued identification card
  6. Social Security Number (accepted as second form of identification)
  7. Payment of outstanding bills owed to the City of Lumberton


Can I receive an extension if I can’t pay my bill by the due date?

Utility customers are granted a maximum of four extensions per calendar year. The extension provides the customer with ten additional days to pay his/her delinquent utility bill. When payment is not made by the specified time, service is disconnected without further notice and all amounts due to the City of Lumberton, including reconnection fees and deposit updates, are due and payable before reconnection.

My utilities have been disconnected for non-payment. What now?

Any utility service terminated for non-payment will be required to pay the delinquent utility bill, a reconnection fee, and deposit update before services will be reconnected.

What do I need to do to disconnect my service?

Request for disconnections are taken in person or by telephone. Customers requesting a disconnection must provide their driver’s license and/or Department of Motor Vehicles issued identification card when making the request.

I had a water leak, can I receive an adjustment for billed water and sewer charges?

Adjustments will not be granted for water. A sewer adjustment may be granted if documentation exists to support the fact that the water did not flow into the city sewer system.

I want to fill my swimming pool, what do I need to do?

The charge for swimming pool water service furnished by the fire department shall be as follows:

Monday – Friday (9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.)              $200.00

Saturday and holidays (9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.)      $300.00
Sundays – No pools shall be filled

Customers also have the option of filling their pool.

 The charge for swimming pool water service furnished by metered water shall be as follows:

Monday – Friday (9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.) $25.00 plus water usage

Owners of pools will make an annual application with $25 service charge to fill the pool at the beginning of the summer. City staff will read the meter at the beginning and ending of the pool filling. A one time supplemental fill-up for an additional $25 service charge will be allowed for repairs upon request. The sewer charge for the number of gallons actually metered during the fill-up period will be adjusted from the customer’s bill. Pool fill-up will be limited to a 48-hour period.
Meters are not read on weekends or municipal holidays.

I am opening a business, do I need a privilege license?

Persons who conduct a business within the corporate city limits may be required to purchase a privilege license when the act of the business is taxable. All businesses should contact the city tax division. A person who operates a business for a religious, educational, civic, patriotic, charitable, or fraternal purpose, when the entire gross income of the business is used for such a purpose, is exempt from paying any privilege license tax levied by the city; however, the person must obtain a license from the tax collector which will state the licensee is exempt . Blind persons and persons who serve in the United States armed forces or the merchant marine are exempt from paying any privilege license tax levied by privilege license article to the extent provided by.  


When will I receive my property tax bill, when is it due, and when will interest begin?

  1. Tax bills are mailed during the month of July.
  2. 1% discount for current year property taxes paid prior to September 1st.
  3. Taxes are due on September 1st.
  4. Taxes are delinquent on January 7th and interest begins to accrue. Enforced collection remedies such as garnishment, levy on personal property, and foreclosure proceedings begin.
  5. Delinquent real property taxes are advertised at least once in the local news publications between March 1st and June 30th.



Who do I contact when my garbage isn’t picked up?

Please contact the Public Works Department at (910) 671-3851, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. to report a missed pick-up.













Go to top