On May 23, 1911 Mayor A.E. White and Lumberton Town Commissioners J. L. Stephens, G. French, W. J. Prevatt, M. W. Floyd, J. D. McMillan, and J. H. Morrison approved a Sanitary Ordinance stating, "That no surface closet shall be maintained within the limits of the Town of Lumberton, within 200 feet of water and sewerage line, unless house is located not less than 100 feet from any residence."
The Sanitary Ordinance was amended on June 8, 1911 to include churches and businesses. Surface closets had become a nuisance to the health of the town and the ordinance was necessary to improve the quality of life for Lumberton. Later, town commissioners ordered sewerage connections within certain limits.
On September 18, 1911 the Mayor and board of town commissioners ordered that water meters be placed on all water connections. Meters were available to residents via rent of twenty-five cents a month or by purchasing the meter for $10. According to Superintendent Pitman, Light and Water Department, placing meters at connections would mean a savings of several thousand dollars a year to the town.
As time passed, the light and water department became two separate entities.
The Public Works Department is located at 215 South Cedar Street. This department’s objective is to provide excellent Customer Service while meeting and satisfying the needs of the customer and the community.
The Department is responsible for providing water and wastewater (sewer) services to citizens, businesses, and industries located within the corporate city limits of Lumberton. Management and staff continually strategize for the future by evaluating the city’s water and wastewater (sewer) systems and implementing plans to ensure that the city’s water and wastewater (sewer) systems continue to operate effectively.
215 S. Cedar Street
Lumberton, North Carolina 28358
(910) 671-3889 TDD
(910) 671-3884 Fax